- Haw Yen
- Assistant Research Scientist
- Undergraduate Education
- B.S. National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
- Graduate Education
- M.S. National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
- Ph.D. Colorado State University
Watershed Modeling / Optimization / Uncertainty Analysis
- Dr. Yen has interests in watershed modeling; point and nonpoint source pollution control/simulation; traditional and heuristic optimization techniques; sensitivity & uncertainty analysis; water resources planning & management; reservoir operation rules development & real-time flood control operation; and data management. The primary research area (United States and international) includes: Great Lakes Region, Chesapeake Bay Watershed, Southern Texas, Northern/Southwest China, and East Africa.
Dr. Yen developed the Integrated Parameter Estimation and Uncertainty Analysis Tool (IPEAT) to incorporate uncertainty sources from system parameters, forcing inputs, measured data and model structure. IPEAT has been implemented to large-scale national projects such as the USDA funded Conservation Effects Assessment Project (CEAP), and the EPA funded Hydrologic And Water Quality System (HAWQS).
At the AgriLife Blackland Research and Extension Center (Texas A&M University) he designs and develops watershed simulations to mitigate environmental and ecological impacts for the original and the new version of the Soil and Water Assessment Tool (SWAT and SWAT+) and participates in SWAT training seminars and workshops dealing with new technology. In addition, he is developing and supporting the automated systems for the Agricultural Policy/Environmental eXtender (APEX) such as the APEX autocalibration tool (APEX-CUTE).
IPEAT+, the open-source, FORTRAN-based, software-installation-free, automatic calibration program that directly coupled with SWAT+, is currently available. Please contact Dr. Yen for more information.
Dr. Yen is a member of several technical committee boards of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the American Geophysical Union (AGU). Dr. Yen is also actively serving multiple associate editor positions in internationally recognized journals such as Journal of Hydrologic Engineering [ASCE, ISSN: 1084-0699], Limnology [Springer, ISSN: 1439-8621] and the Arabian Journal of Geosciences [Springer, ISSN: 1866-7511].
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=a4Xynf8AAAAJ&hl=zh-TW